Sunday, April 4, 2010

Belt Test

Daughter and I had our belt test, yesterday evening. We had to do Chart 1 and 2, and then run through the Seisan Kata. We both did just fine with Chart 1 and the Seisan, but we need work on Chart 2. Overall, I think we passed, though. We'll find out tomorrow night.

There was another woman with us, testing for brown-belt. She did pretty good, and I hope she passed. She works so hard, shows up to every class, and she's quick to help others who are having a hard time with one of their kata. She's also legally blind, but it doesn't appear to slow her down at all. I'm so proud of her and always inspired by her... She's always quick to offer help and suggestions.

This is the first time I've ever tested for a belt. When I studied Wado-ryu in Japan, there were only three belts: White, an intermediate green, and then black-belt.

Yesterday afternoon, I was warming up in the basement dojo and skipping rope. I came down on my left foot and it turned inward, resulting in a bad sprain. I had to grit my teeth through the test and while running through the charts. What a rotten time to sprain an ankle! Yeesh.... I hope it heals quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Frank - with your commitment I'm sure you'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue! I hope this foot heals up quickly, but I can bear weight on it. The only time it bugs me, is when I turn the foot inward. The ankle's pretty swollen, but "this too shall pass."

    I'm looking forward to tomorrow's class. And even if I find out that I didn't pass, then I'll find out what I need to work on, and work that much harder.

    ReplyDelete