Monday, August 9, 2010

Miscellaneous Updates

I ordered a Shureido gi, a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it. The jacket is actually long enough, and the crotch-to-waist measurement of the pants is short enough that I don't have to constantly pull up on the legs of the gi, whenever I raise a foot, or go to squat down. Very very nice, and well worth the money. I'd like to actually have one more, and may buy another, in a few months.

The Wansu kata is coming along nicely, but I still have a lot of work left to do. Of course, after the Wansu, it's time to begin working on the Chinto kata, which is another long and complex kata, but I'm less daunted, now that I've got the Naihanchin kata down, and I've got approximately one-third of the Wansu memorized.

Workouts are still going strong, with unflagging intensity. I took the weekend off, but this morning, walked and jogged a mile. This afternoon is my day to work my back. Lat pulldowns, seated row, shrugs, deadlifts, and triceps pushdowns. I'm loving the way I'm starting to look and feel!

Funny thing about working out, though: There are about 50 different kinds of protein powders and tons of different supplements out there. Each supplement makes grandiose claims to be the latest, greatest thing, and promises to do everything except balance your checkbook and make you a millionaire. (I think I just pulled a muscle, rolling my eyes...) The only thing most of them are good for, is ensuring that the user has the most expensive urine in town. Hahaha...

I've narrowed it down to three supplements: A basic protein powder, a multivitamin, and fish oil capsules. That's it. That's all. The fish oil capsules supply the much-needed Omega-3s that most people don't get through their diets. (Unless they are real fish aficionados, which I am definitely not!)

80% of how you look and feel, is based on two things: Your fork and knife. The remaining 20% comes from what you do in the gym.

Check this guy out:


  1. Hi, Frank:

    You are leaning the movement but what about bunkai, etc?

    There are so many different aspects of kata training and I would want to focus on one kata thoroughly first then all the others would fall into place.

    What do you think?

  2. Well, the bunkai is definitely important, and as I go along, I'm learning a lot of it, but in the case of the Wansu and Chinto katas, I've got to actually learn the katas, first.

    Interestingly, having recently learned the Seiuchin kata, I fought from that stance in our last sparring session, and did A LOT better, than when I sparred the first time, trying to work from a Seisan/classic boxer's stance.

    Right now, with the Wansu, I'm only at the most rudimentary level, just trying to nail down the form. :-)

  3. Hey Frank, Sounds like things are going well with your training and workouts. I'm in the process of figuring out an at home workout routine for myself. So far I'm walking almost two miles 5x a week and shadow sparring in addition to my practice.

    Good luck with learning your kata! Just how many are there in your style? We have 9 before black belt. Speaking of kata, I need to buckle down and work on mine! Thanks for the reminder...*grumble grumble* ;)

  4. Thanks, Ariel! We have eight empty-handed kata, and we have at least two weapons kata. The bo and sai katas. The empty-handed kata are the Seisan, Seiuchin, Naihanchin, Wansu, Chinto, Kusanku, Sunsu, and the Sanchin.

    Good luck with your workout program! :-)