Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Big Change

After twenty-five years of smoking 1.5 packs of cigarettes per day, nearly every single day, I've managed to quit smoking, thanks to Chantix. (Champix, for those of you outside of the United States.) I've been free for two whole weeks, and what's more, I feel like a major shift has taken place inside of me, with regards to smoking and how I view it in my mind. I took the Chantix for a total of 18 days, and I quit taking it, three days ago.

First things first, though:
I've been free of that horrible addiction for 13 days, 15 hours.
I've NOT smoked 409 cigarettes. (That just blows my mind!)
I've saved $110.00.

My lungs are clearing up and cleaning themselves out. My breath, clothes, and hands don't stink like cigarettes, and I can smell foods, rain, soap, and a myriad of other things. Food and coffee taste better, and I don't get nearly so winded so quickly. My pulse rate is lower, and I'm not constantly feeling the urge to go out and have a cigarette.

Somewhere along the way, I realized that cigarettes are just nothing but poison. I was watching a video on YouTube, where the host put a glass of water in front of a smoker and said, "This is a glass of bleach. How deep is your urge to pick it up and take a sip?" The smoker replied that he no urge to do such a thing, and said, "It'll kill me!" And then the metaphorical light bulb kind of lit up over his head. ;-)

I really don't intend this to become a smoking cessation blog, but it really is a major component of my overall training, and getting in better shape is what has really driven this quit. The Chantix has made me develop acne, so I've taken myself off of it, but I suspect that there's no longer any need for it. I'm free!! :-))

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is a major change and a major accomplishment. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see a new post on your blog, Frank. Congrats on your accomplishment! Go celebrate and kick some butt in sparring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Frank! After 25 years of addiction it must have been one of the hardest things you've done. This is one of those few occassions where you can be proud of someone for being a quitter! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quit smoking using Champix myself (blimey, I just realised that it's 2 years now! That's flown by) and I've never looked back. The difference it made in my fitness was amazing, not to mention the changes I've noticed in my tastebuds (I can actually taste my food now!) and my sense of smell.

    Well done for quitting!!! It's one of the best things you'll ever do for yourself.

    xMx

    ReplyDelete